Laser Acne Scar Removal
What is a laser acne scar treatment?
- Laser acne scar treatment uses fractional pulses of laser light to break down scar tissue and help generate healthy new tissue and improve the scar’s tone and texture.
What types of scars can be treated?
- Laser therapy can work on all types of scars including keloids (raised scars), atrophic (depressed or sunken scars), and hypertrophic (raised, pin-point scars).
What can I expect during a laser acne scar treatment?
- Laser scar removal is a relatively simple process. A laser moves along the length of a scar or an area full of scars and removes the top layer of skin. The top skin layers are those that appear damaged and cause the scar to be visible. When these top
layers are removed, newer, less damaged skin can be found underneath.
How long does a treatment last?
- Treatments can be performed in as little as 30 minutes depending on the size of the treatment area.
What are the risks and complications?
- Erythema (redness), edema (swelling) and a mild burning sensation, much like a sunburn, can occur but usually subsides within a few hours. Pigment changes such as hyperpigmentation (darkening) and hypopigmentation (lightening) of the skin in the treatment
areas may occur.
- People with severe acne, rosacea or other skin disorders may experience unwanted side effects such as severe pain and redness outside of what might normally be expected with laser therapy.
How many treatments will I need?
- Typically a series of 4 treatments is recommended, depending upon your area of correction or concern. Dr. Mehr will ultimately determine a treatment schedule based on your individual goals and desires.
- Treatments are usually spaced in 4 week intervals.
How do I prepare for my treatment?
- You should avoid sun exposure for 3-4 weeks before and after the treatment.
- Avoid self/fake tanner sprays and lotions for 3-4 weeks before treatments.
- Avoid the use of retinols, Hydroquinone, and Glycolic or Salicylic products for 3 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid using photosensitizing medications for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid use of accutane for 12 months prior to treatment.
What is the price of a laser scar treatment?
- Prices range from $50 to $800 for a single area treatment. Discount pricing is available when you purchase a package of 4 treatments.