What is IPL Photorejuvenation?
IPL Photorejuvenation is a cosmetic treatment that uses gentle pulses of intense, optimized light to treat undesirable pigment and vessels which can occur as a result of aging and lifestyle choices.
Light can be used effectively to destroy targets located in the skin with minimum damage to the surrounding tissues. Light is used to lighten, fade or remove photo-damaged skin in a non-ablative manner. Visible signs of photo damage include wrinkling, enlarged pores, course skin texture and pigment alterations.
What does IPL treat?
- IPL improves skin tone and texture
- Helps reduce brow, red and pink spots
- Addresses underlying pigment issues by bringing spots to the surface throughout the course of a treatment series.
What can I expect during an IPL treatment?
A laser hand piece will be applied to the skin of the area being treated and with each pulse you will feel a hot rubber band snap sensation. You will be given goggles to wear during your treatment to protect your eyes; with the goggles on you may still flashes of bright lights, which is completely normal.
How long does a treatment last?
The treatment duration is approximately 20-30 minutes for each body part (size of an average face).
What are the risks and complications?
Erythema (redness), edema (swelling) and a mild burning sensation, much like a sunburn, can occur but usually subsides within a few hours. Pigment changes such as hyperpigmentation (darkening) and hypopigmentation (lightening) of the skin in the treatment areas may occur. Pre-existing dark areas or moles will turn darker and may take a few days to flake off.
How do I prepare for my treatment?
- You should avoid sun exposure for 3-4 weeks before and after the treatment.
- Avoid self/fake tanner sprays and lotions for 3-4 weeks before treatments.
- Avoid the use of retinols, Hydroquinone, and Glycolic or Salicylic products for 3 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid using photosensitizing medications for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid use of accutane for 12 months prior to treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
Typically a series of 3 treatments is recommended, depending upon your area of correction or concern. Dr. Mehr will ultimately determine a treatment schedule based on your individual goals and desires.
Treatments are usually spaced in 4 week intervals. Patients with advanced photo-damage may require more treatments to achieve the desired results.
What is the price of an IPL treatment?
Prices range from $150 to $400 for a single area treatment. Discount pricing is available when you purchase a package of 3 treatments.