Laser Hair Removal
What is laser hair removal?
The laser hair removal procedure uses light to target and destroy hair follicles responsible for hair growth without damaging the surrounding tissue.
How long does a treatment last?
Each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of a second and can treat many hairs at the same time. The laser can treat an area approximately the size of a quarter every second. Small areas such as the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute,
large area such as the back or legs may take up to an hour.
How do I prepare for my laser hair removal treatment?
- Prior to your procedure, you should not pluck, wax, thread or have electrolysis in the treatment area for 3-4 weeks; the laser targets the hair’s roots which are temporarily removed by those methods.
- Avoid self/fake tanner sprays or lotions for 3-4 weeks prior to treatment.
- You should also avoid sun exposure for 3-4 weeks before and after the treatment; sun exposure makes laser hair removal less effective and increases the likeliness of post-treatment complications.
- Avoid the use of retinols, Hydroquinone, and Glycolic or Salicylic products for 3 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid using photosensitizing medications for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid use of accutane for 12 months prior to treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
- Typically a series of 6 treatments is recommended; Dr. Mehr will ultimately determine a treatment schedule based on your individual goals and desires.
- Treatments are usually spaced in 4 week intervals.
What is the price of a laser hair removal treatment?
Prices range from $75 to $700 for a single area treatment. Discount pricing is available when you purchase a package of 6 treatments.